AIM chemo

I'll be starting chemo on 3/24. For those who have had this cocktail, when did the side effects happen for you?

It depends which side effect. Throughout the infusion, nausea, fatigue, loss of appetite. Following the end of infusion, the blood counts started plummeting. It caused problems like mouth sores. At one point, I also had acid reflux but I don't think it was during the first cycle. It was difficult to sleep even when tired. Following the neulasta injection, I experienced lower back pain for 1 or 2 days. Hair started to fall out during the second cycle if I remember correctly.

When my husband was on AIM (4 1/2 years ago) he didn't have too many side effects the first round. Each cycle the side effects became a little worse. Overall he was tired and sick and had low blood counts needing transfusions for cycle 3/4. He was on a 21 day cycle so the first week was infusion, second week he felt kind of crummy, and the third week he felt way more like himself. He was unable to work during the treatment, but he was able to do things with our family, just at a slower pace. He also found that corn flakes and corn chips really helped his stomach. I know that sounds odd, but it's a tip I like to pass along.

I hope this helps.

Katie

Thanks Katie.

Katie T said:

When my husband was on AIM (4 1/2 years ago) he didn't have too many side effects the first round. Each cycle the side effects became a little worse. Overall he was tired and sick and had low blood counts needing transfusions for cycle 3/4. He was on a 21 day cycle so the first week was infusion, second week he felt kind of crummy, and the third week he felt way more like himself. He was unable to work during the treatment, but he was able to do things with our family, just at a slower pace. He also found that corn flakes and corn chips really helped his stomach. I know that sounds odd, but it's a tip I like to pass along.

I hope this helps.

Katie

Thanks Elodie.

Elodie Espesset said:

It depends which side effect. Throughout the infusion, nausea, fatigue, loss of appetite. Following the end of infusion, the blood counts started plummeting. It caused problems like mouth sores. At one point, I also had acid reflux but I don't think it was during the first cycle. It was difficult to sleep even when tired. Following the neulasta injection, I experienced lower back pain for 1 or 2 days. Hair started to fall out during the second cycle if I remember correctly.