My son's song about dealing with synovial sarcoma

Hi everyone:

Recently my 23-year-old son was granted a weeklong respite by a wonderful charity for young sarcoma patients, ages 18-24, called the Nikolas Ritschel Foundation, To thank them Drake wanted to write a song for their 5K fundraiser, Nik's Home Run. Inspired by Nik's struggle and everything our family has endured since his diagnosis, he and his younger sister wrote a song called "Fighting for You," which I just posted to YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg901Z9RbMI

The video features family photos from the past year of Drake's treatment as well as our amazing family trip to Florida. I'm so proud of the fact that my kids were able to channel all of their feelings about going on this difficult journey into a beautiful ballad that will hopefully inspire other families dealing with cancer.

This is a recurrence for Drake, but he's stayed strong through chemo ( 3 rounds of Ifos and Doxorubicin, 1 of GemTax) and 35 proton radiation treatments. He still has 3 more rounds of GemTax to go. During this time, we've done our best to "focus on what we want, not what we fear" and counter all the bad we've had to endure with great, memorable moments. Drake is also doing THC and CBD therapy (legal in California) after talking with another family at UCLA who's also using it to maximize the efficacy of their son's sarcoma treatments and help stave off future tumors. (Here's a story on them http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2014-10-14/happy-mondays-star-cannabis-helped-treat-my-sons-cancer/). We also read a great book called Radical Remission, which has lots of alternative therapy tips used by people who beat the odds. I highly recommend it. My son has adopted many of the suggestions listed.

Nothing in life is guaranteed but we're doing what we can and approaching every day with a sense of gratitude and a determination to live it fully. Less computer time, more board games. ;)

Anyway, I just wanted to post the song link so perhaps it will inspire some of you too.

Best,

Deborah

I watched it, Deborah, it's terrific! Your children are very talented, and beautiful, too. Thank you for sharing this song with us -- it is very moving.

Thanks. I'm so proud of them and the way they've used this experience to become better people. Hope you're doing well. This is such a scary experience ... it's nice to have a place to turn to.

That Was Beautiful!!!! Sending Positive thoughts and prayers to your family. :)

Thanks Joe. My son's tumor was also in his neck. Wishing you the best as well.

Joe said:

That Was Beautiful!!!! Sending Positive thoughts and prayers to your family. :)

This was beautiful and meant a lot to us all - thank you for sharing

Thank you. I'll be sure to tell Drake and Kiersten. :) Hope all is well with you and your family.

BB said:

This was beautiful and meant a lot to us all - thank you for sharing

What a beautiful song! Your family is an inspiration. Thank you for sharing!