Update on my husband's SS in lung lining

PET scan showed 1 sm sp on collar & 1 sm. one on lymph in neck. Dr. says the recon. for tumor wd put him at risk of not making it as the tumor in lung lining is not "contained". Y would they say chemo if "SS" doesn't resp well to chemo? Would rad be best to shrink it & could they operate the sm sites found prior/dur treat? Hoping to get into Sloan this week as all records have been transferred. So new to this and hope anyone who has been through this can help me understand. Thank you.

Hi Cathy

Getting a second opinion at Sloan Kettering is a good idea.I treat at Smilow Cancer Hosp. too. My oncologist is Dr. Deshpande and my thoracic surgeon is Dr. Boffa .Please let us know what happens when your husband is seen at Sloan.Would be interested to see if they agree with the treatment Smilow recommends. If surgery or radiation is not an option,sometimes the oncologist recommends chemo, they have to try to stop the beast.

Good Luck

Mary

"The tumor in lung lining is not contained". Does he have a pleural effusion?

It's arguable whether SS respond to chemo or not. It varies from one person to another. Many patients with SS respond well to ifosfamide. The chemo is unlikely to cure your husband but it may shrink the tumors and delay progression.

Elodie - Yes, he has a pleural effusion. Are you familiar with pleural effusion? I thank you for the info on chemo. Would radiation be an option as well? I read of a procedure called cyberknife and wondering what that entails.

Mary - My husband started with Dr. Boffa and I can't say enough good things about him. We will see the Chief of thoracic surgery at Sloan - Dr. Valerie Rusch and are hoping she can help.

Thank you for your support and any information you have or know out here would be most helpful:)

thanks so much for the update. Sending you positive thoughts.

You'd think they'd incorporate both and then remove them surgically. All the best Cathy with your Sloan visit.

My understanding is that a malignant pleural effusion is a serious complication. I know somebody who had 2 and the surgeon didn't want to operate. He tried a few chemos then passed away. Here is an article about management of malignant pleural effusions:

http://www.jpalliativecare.com/article.asp?issn=0973-1075;year=2011;volume=17;issue=2;spage=98;epage=103;aulast=Muduly

It may take a few different opinions before you're given an acceptable treatment plan :-(

Elodie - you r a wealth of information & thank you. this “SS” is truly horrific:( From all the great posts on here sounds like radiation would be best for shrinking this in order to be operable. I know there’s no cure, but praying it can become operable. It’s amazing how ones life can be turned inside out in the blink of an eye. My husband was always healthy & never sick until this beast came along. I cry a lot and feel bad for how our little boys r going to take this as we go along:-(